Friday, May 2, 2008

Fighting to keep the generations together

I was thinking today about how much I'm committed to this idea!
So many churches today contribute to the generational gap by appeasing people.
Contemporary Service, Traditional Service...planning every activity for seperate age groups.
Many pastors, conferences preach choosing a certain age demographic and crafting your entire ministry around that one person's interests. I don't buy it!
Probably the biggest seperation is music style. This is why I'm committed to trying to do the new worship music as well as the old. It's important to the "seasoned" christians to open the hymnbook and the younger generations love the new stuff. I've discovered that this effort sometimes just doesn't make anyone happy...BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP!
Last night I was very encouraged at the spaghetti feed!
I was looking around Kirkwood Hall and realized the room was filled not just with Rogue River's biggest demographic (retired folks) but there was babies, kids, teens, young adults...
THANK YOU JESUS!
The VISION of keeping the generations together is not impossible! I'm encouraged!

No comments: