Sunday, February 17, 2008

Child-like Faith: This Morning's Sermon


If you missed this morning's service, you missed one of the cutest things that has ever happened at Rogue River Assembly of God. The ADORABLE Dara kids sang...This Little Light Of Mine!

Kids statements that are a little... off track:
* God bless America thru the night with a light from a bulb!
* Oh Susanna, Oh don't you cry for me, For I come from Alabama with a band-aid on my knee!
* Give us this day our deli bread! Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Whole East Coast.
* We shall come to Joyce's, bringing in the cheese.
* He carrots for you.
* Praise God From whom all blessings flow, Praise Him all creatures, HERE WE GO
* While shepherds washed their socks by night
* He socked me and boxed me with His redeeming glove.

At the Lord’s leading I’m veering from my usual sermon series ways
Today’s message is entitled CHILD LIKE FAITH

Mark 10
13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

The very heart of the gospel is Jesus' mandate for child-like faith!
The bottom line to salvation is being able to say three words: I NEED JESUS!
The only thing standing between man and God is pride.
Humbling ourselves, admitting, believing, confessing...It's all about Jesus...
When we stand before our God we never want to hear: depart from me for I never KNEW you!
That word: KNEW should be underlined and highlighted!
It's a KNOWING...relationship NOT RELIGION!

We can never advance to a higher plain in Christianity!
This is where we must stay: like a little child!
If we ever think we have arrived: TROUBLE!
This is why Christianity and Pride don't mix!
This is why we stop representing Jesus well when we begin to think of ourselves as anything more than A SINNER SAVED BY GRACE!
The know-it-all, the snob...the religious rigid are the ones Jesus was really mean to (pharisees)...
When the HEAD becomes larger than the HEART: DANGER!

It's all about LOVE
Knowing Jesus, Trusting Jesus...LIKE A LITTLE CHILD

1. Child-like Faith is NEEDY

What do I mean by needy
Many things
BUT I will explore two areas
First,
This Is The Gospel

"that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. (2 Cor 5:19)
Dr. William R. Newell, a well-known Bible expositor of a past generation, commented on this verse "Now Paul in his wonderful revelation declares that God HATH reconciled the world to Himself; that God was inChrist (at the cross) reconciling the world unto Himself. Men do not know this, so they conceive that something stands between them and God, and that they must perform or do something before God will have them or accept them or forgive them.

"If you tell a man that God is demanding no good works of him whatsoever, no religion, no religious observances or church ordinances at all, that God is not asking him to undertake a lot of church duties, or any duties at all, but on the contrary, that God invites him to believe the glad message that his sins have al-ready been dealt with at the cross, and that God expects him to believe this good news and be exceedingly happy about it--if you tell an unsaved man such a story as this, he is astonished and overwhelmed; yet THIS IS THE Gospel."
TO WHICH WE ADD: Much preaching today too often is a confusing mixture of law and grace, faith and works, and salvation and rewards. To add any-thing to the finished work of Christ is to proclaim "another gospel"

Childlike Faith recognizes Desperate Need for Jesus in ALL things and understands we need one another…

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, stopped going. After a few weeks, the pastor decided to visit him. It was a chilly evening. The pastor found the man at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire. Guessing the reason for his pastors visit, the man welcomed him, led him to a comfortable chair near the fireplace and waited. The pastor made himself at home but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the dance of the flames around the burning logs. After some minutes, the pastor took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone. Then he sat back in his chair, still silent. The host watched all this in quiet contemplation. As the one lone ember's flame flickered and diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and dead. Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting. The Pastor glanced at his watch and realized it was time to leave. He slowly stood up, picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow, once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it. As the pastor reached the door to leave, his host said with a tear running down his cheek, "Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the fiery sermon. I shall be back in church next Sunday."

2. Child-like Faith is RISKY

David Velazquez wrote a poem entitled: Faith of A Child
The father, a well digger, strong was he, And as loving and kind as a father could be.
And Mary his daughter, five years old, Was very much dearer than millions of gold.
To Mary her father was big, grand and nice, So each had a treasure, beyond any price.
One day to the well, little Mary was sent To take daddy's lunch, how gladly she went.
But when she looked down, not a thing could be seen. The well, like a pocket, was dark as could be.
The father saw Mary and heard her voice, too, But made not a sound, just to see what she'd do.
She dropped to her knees, the dear little soul, And called down, "Oh, Daddy, are you down this hole?"
"Why yes Mary darling, I'm here at your feet, Just drop my lunch for I'm ready to eat.
Just let it go easy, I'll catch it alright." She did and she saw it fall out of sight.
"Why Mary," said father, "There's enough here for two, Now this is the thing I would like you to do.
You jump down here to me and we'll eat it together, Down here in the cool and away from the weather."
"Oh, daddy, I'm afraid, I can't see you at all, Be sure now you catch me and don't let me fall." 'Twas just for a moment she wavered in doubt, Then closing her dear little eyes she jumped out. In the darkness, yes, that was the test, She trusted in faith in her father's request.
And both were so happy he kissed her and smiled Because of the sweet trusting faith of his child."
Oh, sweet little Mary, you put me to shame, How often my Father has called me the same,
But because it was dark I turned back in doubt. Refusing the call, though his arms were stretched out."

Childlike faith is risky because of failure
The Lord threw this answer in my lap this week
PLEASE STICK WITH ME
THIS IS WHERE RRAG has been for several years

Os Hillman teaches that Failure That Leads to Godliness
Using 1 Sam 22:2…All those who were in distress or in debt or discontented gathered around him, and he became their leader....
God uses broken things to accomplish His greatest work. When David was anointed to be the next king, he was just a boy, the youngest among all his brothers. Little did he know that the next several years would be years of fleeing from Saul whose successes turned into obsessions as a leader who had fallen from God's anointing. Perhaps David thought, "Why am I living a life as a fugitive?" I am the next king of Israel. Yet, his life was filled with adversity after adversity before he ever fulfilled the ultimate calling God had for him. Others began to hear of David's successes and identify with his plight. But, it wasn't the successful and polished who came to join him. It was "those who were in distress or in debt or discontented" who would be part of his army-and an army it was! His army would become known throughout the world as the greatest ever assembled, not because of their skill, but because of the God behind the army. God turned David's men into "mighty men of valor" (see 1 Chron. 11:10).
God often uses failure to make us useful. When Jesus called the disciples, He did not go out and find the most qualified and successful people. He found the most willing, and He found them in the workplace. He found a fisherman, a tax collector, a farmer, and a doctor.The Hebrews knew that failure was a part of maturing in God. The Greeks used failure as a reason for disqualification. Sadly, in the Church, we often treat one another in this way. This is not God's way. We need to understand that failing does not make us failures. It makes us experienced. It makes us more prepared to be useful in God's Kingdom-if we have learned from it. And that is the most important ingredient for what God wants in His children.

3. Child-like Faith is Needy, Risky and Finally: Mystery

The church needs to embrace mystery again
There is a lot of I don’t know, I don’t get it, WHAT
In my Bible
A friend came and visited me last week while I had my foot up yet again who was struggling with death, pain, hurt, suffering…thinking WHY
Please hear me: God doesn’t need excuses
People don’t need pat answers
The questions of this world many times just don’t have answers
Many times there just aren’t words
The pat answers like: God must’ve needed her more than us
Any cliché really
The church is full of clichés
They always fall short, they always fail us sooner or later
I think that’s why Jesus told stories
Sometimes When words fail a parable delivers

Robert Peterson tells this story…
She was six years old when I first met her on the beach near where I live. I drive to this beach, a distance of three or four miles, whenever the world begins to close in on me. She was building a sandcastle or somethingand looked up, her eyes as blue as the sea. "Hello," she said. I answered with a nod, not really in the mood to bother with a small child. "I'm building," she said."I see that. What is it?" I asked, not caring."Oh, I don't know, I just like the feel of sand." That sounds good, I thought, and slipped off my shoes. A sandpiper glided by. "That's a joy," the child said."It's a what?" "It's a joy. My mama says sandpipers come to bring us joy." The bird went gliding down the beach. "Good-bye joy," I muttered to myself, "hello pain," and turned to walk on. I was depressed; my life seemedcompletely out of balance. "What's your name?" She wouldn't give up."Robert," I answered. "I'm Robert Peterson.""Mine's Wendy... I'm six.""Hi, Wendy."She giggled. "You're funny," she said. In spite of my gloom I laughed too and walked on. Her musical giggle followed me. "Come again, Mr. P," shecalled. "We'll have another happy day."The days and weeks that followed belong to others: a group of unruly Boy Scouts, PTA meetings, an ailing mother. The sun was shining one morning as Itook my hands out of the dishwater. "I need a sandpiper," I said to myself, gathering up my coat. The ever-changing balm of the seashore awaited me.The breeze was chilly, but I strode along, trying to recapture the serenity I needed. I had forgotten the child and was startled when she appeared."Hello, Mr. P," she said. "Do you want to play?""What did you have in mind?" I asked, with a twinge of annoyance."I don't know. You say.""How about charades?" I asked sarcastically.The tinkling laughter burst forth again. "I don't know what that is.""Then let's just walk." Looking at her, I noticed the delicate fairness of her face. "Where do you live?" I asked."Over there." She pointed toward a row of summer cottages.Strange, I thought, in winter. "Where do you go to school?""I don't go to school. Mommy says we're on vacation." She chattered little talk as we strolled up the beach, but my mind was on other things.When I left for home, Wendy said it had been a happy day. Feeling surprisingly better, I smiled at her and agreed. Three weeks later, I rushed to my beach in a state of near panic. I was in no mood to even greet Wendy. I thought I saw her mother on the porch and felt like demanding she keep her child at home."Look, if you don't mind," I said crossly when Wendy caught up with me,"I'd rather be alone today." She seems unusually pale and out of breath."Why?" she asked.I turned to her and shouted, "Because my mother died!" and prayed, OH God, why was I saying this to a little child?"Oh," she said quietly, "then this is a bad day.""Yes," I said, "and yesterday and the day before and-oh, go away!""Did it hurt? " she inquired."Did what hurt?" I was exasperated with her, with myself. "When she died?Of course it hurt!!!!" I snapped, misunderstanding, wrapped up in myself. I strode off.A month or so after that, when I next went to the beach, she wasn't there. Feeling guilty, ashamed and admitting to myself I missed her, I went up to the cottage after my walk and knocked at the door. A drawn lookingyoung woman with honey-colored hair opened the door. "Hello," I said. "I'm Robert Peterson. I missed your little girl today and, wondered where she was.""Oh yes, Mr. Peterson, please come in. Wendy spoke of you so much. I'm afraid I allowed her to bother you. If she was a nuisance, please, accept my apologies.""Not at all-she's a delightful child," I said, suddenly realizing that I meant it. "Where is she?""Wendy died last week, Mr. Peterson. She had leukemia. Maybe she didn't tell you." Struck dumb, I groped for a chair. My breath caught. "She loved this beach; so when she asked to come, we couldn't say no. She seemed so much better here and had a lot of what she called happy days. But the last few weeks, she declined rapidly..." her voice faltered. "She left something for you ... if only I can find it. Could you wait a moment while I look?" Inodded stupidly, my mind racing for something, anything, to say to this lovely young woman. She handed me a smeared envelope, with MR. P printed in bold, childish letters. Inside was a drawing in bright crayon hues-a yellow beach, a blue sea, and a brown bird. Underneath was carefully printed: A SANDPIPER TO BRING YOU JOY. Tears welled up in my eyes, and a heart that had almost forgotten to love opened wide. I took Wendy's mother in my arms. "I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I muttered over and over, and we wept together. The precious little is framed now and hangs in my study. Six words - one for each year of her life - that speak to me of harmony, courage, undemanding love. A gift from a child with sea-blue eyes and hair the color of sand, who taught me the gift of love.

NEEDY RISKY MYSTERIOUS LOVE

No comments: